Beautifully engraved SCARCE certificate FRAMED from the Hartford and New York Transportation Company
in 1887. This historic document was printed by the American Banknote Company and has an
ornate border around it with a vignette of a river boat. This item is hand signed by the Company’s President ( E. S. Goodrich ) and Treasurer and is
over 121 years old.
The Hartford and New York Transportation Company Certificate will be double matted as shown in the illustration.
This contemporary, black frame is 1" wide with an overall size of 13 3/4" x 17 3/4". Archival mounting, acid free backing, and clear glass are used in preparing your custom framed certificate.
The cost of the frame (including labor) for heavy duty packaging, and USPS priority, insured mailing in the continental United States is included in the price. Mailing to Alaska, Hawaii, and international destinations is available at actual cost.
The company operated coal barges and Passenger Steamship Lines between Hartford and New York, and New York and Providence. The company owned the Maine Steamship lines. Control over the company was obtained in 1906 by the Hartford and New York RR Company.
New York, New Haven, and Hartford RR was commonly called the New Haven RR. Between 1872 and 1920, when dozens of small railroads were completed under the direction of financier John P. Morgan and company president Charles S. Mellen, the railroad’s holdings were vastly expanded to include c.2,000 mi (3,220 km) of tracks throughout New England, intercity electric railroads, steamship lines, and public utilities. In 1913, the New Haven faced financial catastrophe, and in 1914 the railroad’s operations were investigated by the Interstate Commerce Commission. Hurt by the growth of automobile and truck transportation and by the depression of the 1930s, the New Haven went bankrupt. It prospered during World War II under new management but collapsed in the late 1950s because of unprofitable passenger service. In 1968 the railroad, having been reorganized, merged with the newly formed Penn Central Company.